W06: Fortunes Frolic
Grid Reference: SM959152
SatNav Co-ordinates: N 51.79880°, W 04.96138°
Nearest postcode SA61 1UP
Fortune’s Frolic is a park and pathway next to river which leads to Higgons Well and the church of St Ismaels in Uzmaston village. On panels at the site the story of Mr Samuel Fortune is recounted. In 1779, having been discovered with a young lady upon this path, he was challenged to a duel which resulted in his death. The duel was the last recorded incident of its kind in Haverfordwest.
Fortune’s Frolic is a park next to the river accessed via the Uzmaston turning in Haverfordwest town centre. Turn right down a narrow access road just after turning into the Uzmaston road at the town centre roundabout.
The footpath at Fortune’s Frolic is easily accessible and leads along a stoned gravel drive towards Uzmaston.
There are no facilities at the site. There are toilets, shops and cafés in nearby Haverfordwest.
Activities and Places of Interest nearby
Visit Haverfordwest town centre where a fish pass is located in the weir behind County Hall, accessible on foot via the Bristol Trader pub and from the town car. The fish ladder in the centre of the weir allows migratory fish to ‘climb’ upstream at any time of year but particularly in the Autumn to reach clean spawning gravels further upstream. Watch footage of otters playing and eating eels, caught on camera in tucked away places on Pembrokeshire’s waterways. Visit Haverfordwest Town Museum next to the imposing castle in the town centre. Look out for blue plaques with historical information about Haverfordwest’s maritime history, as sailing ships used to dock by the Bristol Trader. In Elizabethan times, Haverfordwest was the second largest port in Wales and remained the main port in West Wales until the coming of the railway in 1853.