W04: Wolf’s Castle
Grid Reference: SM957264
SatNav Co-ordinates: N 51.89901°, W 04.96949°
Nearest postcode SA62 5LY
Wolf’s Castle village next to the A40 sits on the Western Cleddau river close to its confluence with the river Anghof tributary which flows from Puncheston and Castlebythe.
Wolf’s Castle is located between Letterston and Haverfordwest, near to Treffgarne Gorge and Nant y Coy.
The river bank is easily accessible from the car parking area in the centre of the village just off the main road.
There are toilets at the site and a short distance down the road is the Nant y Coy mill shop and cafe.
Activities and Places of Interest nearby
Walk along the Anghof river gorge where the old quarry workings form a deep ravine. Further south anglers can fish by permit at the Pembrokeshire Angling Association’s Treffgarne Angling Centre, which is signposted and is on the east side of the A40, opposite Treffgarne quarry. Located in a beautiful limestone gorge this site may be only a few hundred yards from a main road but still remains a hidden refuge. On the opposite river bank is a mixed deciduous woodland of Oak and Ash. There is a purpose-built deep pool holding trout, salmon and sewin is located next to the car park.
Treffgarne rocks are the most striking feature in the area. Two famous local landmarks are The Lion and The Unicorn. These lumps of volcanic rock are over 1000 million years old! There is also an Iron Age hill fort at Treffgarne rocks, overlooking the gorge. In medieval times the gorge was feared for its bandits. Treffgarne had a railway to service the quarry, and this was a very difficult stretch of track to build – it almost bankrupted the Great Western Railway company.