W03: Welsh Hook
Grid Reference: SM933276
SatNav Co-ordinates: N 51.90918°, W 05.00554°
Nearest postcode SA62 5NR
Welsh Hook is an area of clean river gravels, teeming with invertebrates within the water weed, providing and ideal nursery habitat for young salmon fry and parr. The road bridge over the river is a listed building, with a datestone of 1774, its reason for listing due to being a three-arched road bridge of traditional character with cutwaters and narrow roadway, but with well-formed arches.
Welsh Hook is located close to Letterston and is reached by following the directions by turning right outside Letterston village.
The road bridge at Welsh Hook is easily accessible from the road.
There are no facilities at the site. There are toilets, shops and a café in nearby Letterston.
Activities and Places of Interest nearby
The small church of St Lawrence at Welsh Hook is located close to the river, and the Fishguard to Whitland railway passes over the road nearby. Formerly a station, Welsh Hook halt was closed in the 1960s as part of the Beeching cuts. A public bridleway opposite the church leads to the countryside, past a small waterfall on the river tributary.
Pembrokeshire Angling Association manage part of the river bank in this area to preserve the nursery habitat for young fish.